Family Immigration

Options for Immigrants Related to U.S. Citizens

U.S. citizens are able to petition for family members, including spouses, parents, children and siblings to become permanent residents.

Green Card Petitions for Immediate Relatives

The immediate relatives of U.S. Citizens have greencards immediately available to them upon approval of a family petition. There is no limit to how many immediate relative immigrant visas may be issued in a given year. That makes this the fastest family-based immigration process. Immediate relatives fall into five visa categories:

  • IR-1: Spouses of U.S. Citizens
  • IR-2: Unmarried children of U.S. citizens under age 21
  • IR-3: Foreign-adopted orphan children of U.S. citizens
  • IR-4: Orphans to be adopted by U.S. citizens through the American family courts
  • IR-5: Parents of U.S. Citizens over age 21

Options for Families of Legal Permanent Residents

Legal Permanent Residents (“green card” holders) are able to petition for permanent residency for family members. However, Legal Permanent Residents must wait until their visa is current before their family members can apply for their green card. Legal Permanent Residents can apply for family members in the following categories:

  • F1: Unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens, along with their minor children
  • F2: Immediate spouses and young children of green card holders
  • F3: Married adult children of U.S. citizens, along with their spouses and minor children
  • F4: Adult siblings of U.S. citizens, along with their spouses and children

If you are a citizen or Legal Permanent Resident and would like to petition your family members contact Lively Law Firm today. Attorney Ashley E. Lively understands how difficult living apart from your loved ones can be and will ensure that your petition is completed in the most efficient manner possible so you can focus on your enjoying life with your loved ones